Friday, March 4, 2011

WWJD

This is a phrase that I have heard countless times over my life. Just four simple words; What Would Jesus Do? I've seen it on t-shirts, bracelets, anklets, stickers, and various other things, but have we ever thought about this phrase?

I say this because for a long time I hated that phrase because to me, it isn't a question over what Jesus would do, it was more along the lines of what he did and the fact we should follow that example. As human beings, we are filled with sinful desires so to think what Jesus would do would be impossible since our thoughts would be tainted with sin.

Though through discussions I've had with various people over the years, I have come to a new realization of this phrase, most likely one that not too many people consider, perhaps saying what would Jesus do is more of setting him as a standard than trying fool ourselves into thinking that we are just like him.

This came to a head during my philosophy class when we discussed virtues as defined by Aristotle. Aristotle said that virtues are things, like bravery, generosity, wit, etc., that we practice so much that it eventually becomes second nature to us so we're able to do those things without even thinking about it. When asked how Aristotle would think of WWJD, my teacher responded that he would love the concept of this as a great beginning point since it placed Jesus as the virtuous standard for us to live by. Where he would be upset is that the church and Christians don't pursue it after that. We don't think of living so much by the standard of Jesus that his virtues and teachings become second nature to us. This would lead to the end of WWJD since we would know what should already be done in an instinctive manner.

As I thought this over, it made perfect sense. We are called to be like God and Paul even says that we should flat out stop sinning. This could only be accomplished by living by the standards of Jesus to such an extent that his virtues would become our own. I love how this works together since many people believe philosophers cannot be Christians or have ideas that can be very biblical. Now whether or not Aristotle knew God cannot be known until we go up and see for ourselves, but what I like is that his ideas can easily work hand in hand with what we have been commanded to do by Jesus.

So from now on when I see WWJD, I won't think it's some poor attempt at people trying to think like God. It's people having Jesus as their moral and virtuous standard.

And remember, Don't Panic, and never forget your towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment